We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire

(52°22′45″N, 2°28′49″W)
Cleobury Mortimer
SO 674 758
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Shropshire
now Shropshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St Mary
now St Mary
  • Barbara Zeitler
  • Ron Baxter
07 November 1999

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=10611.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Cleobury Mortimer is in the extreme SE of the county, less than a mile N of the Worcestershire border and 10 miles E of Ludlow. The church is a an aisled 13th.c building, with a 14thc. N chapel and a W tower dating from c.1160. The tower arch is partly 12thc., partly 19thc. The 12thc. section is decorated with sculpture.


The estate was held by Ralph de Mortimer in 1086, and by Edith before the Conquest. It was assessed at 4 hides, and included a mill and woodland for 500 pigs. It was a large settlement with 45 inhabitants mentioned, including a priest and thus probably a church too. It was still in the same family in 1226 when Henry III granted Hugh de Mortimer the right to hold an annual fair at the manor.


Interior Features


Tower/Transept arches

The tower arch was extensively restored during the restoration by George Gilbert Scott in 1874-5. Only the third and fourth orders appear to be 12thc., albeit with some restorations. Flat leaf capitals, as on the S side of the tower arch, are normally dated to the 1170s, but this one, with its over-elaboration, looks more like work of the previous decade.


D. H. S. Cranage, Churches of Shropshire, 2 vols, Wellington: Hobson & Co., 1901-12, Pt 4, 289-97.

EH, English Heritage Listed Building 483875.

S. Letters, Online Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England Wales to 1516, http://www.history.ac.uk/cmh/gaz/ gazweb2.html: Shropshire (Centre for Metropolitan History, Institute of Historical Research: 15 July 2010).

N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 105-6.