We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock, Shropshire

(52°35′47″N, 2°33′25″W)
Much Wenlock
SO 62364 99992
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Shropshire
now Shropshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
  • Barbara Zeitler
17 Aug 1998

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=10632.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Much Wenlock is located at the northwest end of Wenlock Edge in a valley. The site was within the precinct of Much Wenlock monastery until the early 12thc. The church was originally aisleless, but a S aisle was added in the 14thc. The nave dates mainly from the 12thc, as do parts of the chancel. The E window is 15thc. The chancel arch is much restored.

A blocked-up 12thc doorway, which is much renewed, exists on the N wall of the nave. It has two orders and is unornamented. The W front of the church, elaborately decorated with 12thc sculpture, was concealed by the addition of a W tower in the late 12thc. This W front consists of a doorway, above which a large window is surrounded by two rows of blind arcading, and above that a second smaller window likewise surrounded by blind arcading.


In Domesday Book the manor of 'Wenloch' is recorded separately from the monastery. The church is mentioned in a charter of William de Vere, bishop of Hereford (1186-99), in which he grants the church to the Priory at Much Wenlock.


Exterior Features



Exterior Decoration

String courses

Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches

It has been suggested that this may have previously been the site of one of the Anglo-Saxon churches connected to the double monastery at Much Wenlock.


R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, vol. 3, London, 1856, 264-70.

J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 426-28.

D. G. Gallagher and H. Woods, `The Romanesque West Front at the Church of the Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock', Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society, 66 (1989), 20-29.