We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Kettering, Northamptonshire

(52°24′30″N, 0°43′26″W)
SP 869 797
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Northamptonshire
now Northamptonshire
medieval St Paul and St Peter
now All Saints
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=11002.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

All Saints, William Street seems an unlikely candidate for inclusion in this database. It was begun in 1926 by E. Turner and E. J. May who designed a red brick and blue tile church in a stripped Early English style. The nave was tall with elegant triple lancets in the aisles, and the chancel elevated with twin lancets in the side walls. An octagonal bell tower on the S side of the chancel resembles nothing more than a factory chimney. Only the chancel, the first two bays of the nave and part of a third bay were built, however, before the money ran out and the nave was closed by a wall at the W end. The original plan was for a five-bay nave with a vestibule at the W. In the wake of Vatican II (1965) the liturgical arrangements were dramatically changed. The nave was separated from the chancel with a pair of extremely ugly corrugated aluminium doors, and an equally unattractive ceiling was inserted halfway up the aisle windows. All the furnishings were stripped out of the nave, producing a square space with no obvious liturgical references. The chancel became a small, detached chapel, reached through the N vestry. Finally in recent years three parallel rooms have been added at the W end, each with its own hipped roof. The walls are of red bricks, not dissimilar to those of the original church but laid in stretcher bond. The roofs, unaccountably, are tiled in red, and the vertical triple gable of the abbreviated original nave and aisles is finished in dark red brick with a large Latin cross picked out in yellow on the central gable. The housing-estate effect is completed by a block-paved car park in front, apparently the preferred option for churches situated in urban residential areas. Uncomfortably placed in the SE corner of the nave is the font from the church of St Denis, Faxton demolished in 1958.


Not applicable since the font originates elsewhere.





J. H. Parker, Architectural Notices of the Churches of the Archdeaconry of Northampton, London and Oxford, 1849, 152-58.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, Harmondsworth, 1961, rev. by B. Cherry, 1973, 216, 272.