We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, King's Pyon, Herefordshire

(52°9′6″N, 2°49′22″W)
King's Pyon
SO 438 507
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St Mary
now St Mary
  • Ron Baxter
04 September 2012, 12 April 2016

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=11455.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


King’s Pyon is a village in the cider apple growing area, 8 miles NW of Hereford and 6 miles SW of Leominster, St Mary’s consists of a chancel with a N vestry and organ room, a nave with N and S transepts and a S porch, and a W tower. The nave is of the 12thc, see the N and S doorways and the N window. The chancel and its arch are 12thc too, and the N vestry added in the late-14thc. The tower is also late-14thc. The nave was remodelled c.1300, and the S transept added. The N transept, to a similar design, is an addition by Henry Ward of 1872. He restored the church and added the S porch too. The font in use is of carved oak and dates from Ward’s restoration, but a 12thc font stands in the N transept.


King’s Pyon was held by Edward the Confessor in 1066, but was given by King William to Roger de Lacy, who held it in demesne in 1086. It was assessed at 5 hides. Of this manor, Gruffydd held half a hide and the abbey of Sainte Marie de Cormeilles held one virgate and the tithes of the vill.


Exterior Features


Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches




The chancel arch and both doorways belong to a campaign of c.1180-90. The font is apparently older, and is known to have been in the church in 1903 but was said to have been in the churchyard in 1897.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 390-91.

Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6909

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 206-07.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 3: North-west, 1934, 86-88 (with church plan).