Between 939 and 975 Saxon kings had granted three thegns, Aelfar, Cinric, and Brihtric lands in 'Cantmell' or 'Cantmel', although the grants could refer to either West or Queen Camel. More certain is the grant by Ethelred II in 995 to Muchelney abbey. The abbey certainly held the estate called Camelle in 1086 which afterwards became the manor of Camel Abbots or West Camel. In DB the Abbey held 9 hides directly and another hide was held of the abbey by Dodeman. (Muchelney abbey retained the manor until the Dissolution - VCH).