A church existed in King’s Somborne in 1086. At that time King’s Somborne manor (later known as John of Gaunt’s Palace), to the S of the church, belonged to the Crown. In 1190 it was granted, together with the advowson of the church, to the administrator and courtier William Briwere or Brewer (d.1226), who established Somborne Park. Briwere later granted the church to, Mottisfont Priory (Mottisfont Abbey, now a National Trust property), which he founded in 1201.
The church was restored and partially rebuilt by John Colson & Son of Winchester in 1885-86.