Bishop's Waltham Palace was one of the principal residences of the bishops of Winchester from the 12thc. to 17thc. The site, now ruinous, is in the care of English Heritage. It is located on the S side of the town of Bishop's Waltham, approximately half way between Winchester and Portsmouth.
Standing remains of the 12thc. bishop's palace - much remodelled in later periods - are concentrated in the SW corner of the rectangular inner court, which is surrounded by a moat. The W side of the court is dominated by a five-bay hall with service rooms and a kitchen at its N end. The hall was refenestrated and reroofed in the 14thc., but traces of a 12thc. blind arcade (stripped of ashlar) may be seen in the S (dais) wall.
A first-floor window (probably originally round headed) survives in the outer wall of the range running S from the hall. It does not retain any sculptural ornamentation, but the bullnosed profile of the external outer order is paralleled in other Hampshire sites of c.1200. It may have lit a great chamber.
The SW corner tower is thought to have contained the private apartments of Bishop Henry of Blois. It was heightened and refenestrated in the late 14thc. and early 15thc. A structure or range attached to the E side of the tower incorporates a blocked round-headed opening at first-floor level. English Heritage identifies this as the bishop's great chamber.
The foundations of a cloister and two chapels, including a 12thc. apsidal chapel, survive to the E of the residential buildings. The E range (bakehouse and brewhouse) and N range (lodgings) date from the late 14thc. and 15thc. respectively.
Although there is no in situ Romanesque sculpture at Bishop's Waltham Palace, several 12thc. fragments of worked stone are displayed in the museum, located in a 17thc. farmhouse in the NE corner of the site. A few of these have carved decoration.