We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Nicholas, Fulbeck, Lincolnshire

(53°2′32″N, 0°35′20″W)
SK 947 504
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Lincolnshire
now Lincolnshire
  • Thomas E. Russo
  • Thomas E. Russo
22 July 1996

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=12367.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Fulbeck is a small village in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, 9 miles N of Grantham and a similar distance E of Newark-on-Trent. The church stands in the village centre and is built of coursed limestone rubble and ashlar. It consists of a W tower, 13thc in its lower parts and 15thc above with a 15thc W stair turret. The nave is aisled with arcades of c.1300, and the chancel is 13thc with a wide chancel arch rebuilt in 1887, as part of the main restoration by Charles Kirk. There is a drum font which is 12thc. in origin, and Romanesque fragments of a capital and an arcaded font set in the chancel and nave walls.


Fulbeck and Leadenham are described together in the Domesday Survey. In 1066 Ralph the staller had 24 carucates in demesne. In 1086 the the overlordship had passed to Count Alan of Britanny and he held the land in demesne. There were 2 churches and 2 priests as well as almost 120 other households making up a considerable 11thc. settlement.


Interior Features

Interior Decoration





Although Pevsner describes the reset capital as 'half a Norman capital', the presence of the necking extending onto the wall behind it indicates that this is a half-column respond capital. The font is very similar to that at the nearby church of All Saints in Coleby. Pevsner attributes this Fulbeck font to the transitional period at the end of the 12thc., but the great variety of ornamental motifs, arch forms, and column designs suggests rather that this is later, possibly even a Victorian pastiche of the original font of which the other reset fragment is a reminder. A local church history pamphlet notes that the arcaded fragment was found in 1888 but does not mention the location or the circumstances; it was most likely found during Kirk’s restoration which began the year before.


Historic England Listed Building. English Heritage Legacy ID: 193164

  1. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, Harmondsworth 1964, 533-34.
  1. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, Harmondsworth 1990, 291.