The Bishops of Chichester had a residence here, probably before the
Conquest. In 1086 no church is mentioned at Amberley, but William the Cleric
held 2 hides of the manor, and Alred the Priest 3 hides. See also entry for
Amberley Castle.
According to a contemporary account the font was: 'removed in 1864 (and)
found to be in more than a dozen pieces'. It was reported that 'stone slabs
have been introduced under the bowl and at base, and four cylindrical
shafts of Purbeck or Forest marble substituted for
wooden pillars' (Clarkson, 231).