We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Monksilver, Somerset

(51°7′42″N, 3°19′33″W)
ST 073 374
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Somerset
now Somerset
  • Robin Downes
06 August 2004, 26 January 2005

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=13260.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Monksilver is a small village 4 miles S of Watchet on the E flank of the Brendon Hills. It lies on the minor road linking Watchet and Wiveliscombe. The church, in the centre of the village, has a nave with a S aisle and porch, a W tower and a chancel with a S chapel. It is mostly 14thc in date, although a small lancet in the chancel indicates some 12thc fabric. Construction is of red sandstone, mostly random rubble.


Domesday records two holdings in Monksilver. The larger, assessed at 1½ hides, was held by Richard from Alvred d'Epaignes in 1086, and by Alwig before the Conquest. This manor included a mill, 2 acres of meadow, 160 acres of pasture, and woodland 3 furlongs by 2. The other piece was held by Alric from Roger de Courseulles in 1086, and by Beorhtmaer before the Conquest. It was assessed at half a hide plus 6 acres of meadow, 16 acres of pasture and 16 acres of scrubland.

Alvred's manor was given by Robert de Chandos, who married Alvred's daughter and heir Isabel, to his foundation of Goldcliff Priory (Monmouth) in 1113, and the monks held it until 1441, when the priory and its lands were given to Tewkesbury Abbey. From there it passed to the canons of Windsor by exchange in 1474. The advowson of the church remained with this manor until 1800, when the canons of Windsor sold the manor but retained the advowson. The dedication to All Saints was recorded in 1449 (VCH).


Exterior Features



The window predates the first documentary record of the church, in 1291.


EH, English Heritage Listed Building 264774.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 243.

Victoria County History: Somerset, V, London 1985, 107-110.