We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Molaga, Labba Molaga, Cork

(52°18′48″N, 8°21′9″W)
Labba Molaga
R 76 18
pre-1974 traditional (Republic of Ireland) Cork
now Cork
medieval Cloyne
now Cloyne
medieval St Molaga
now St Molaga
  • Tessa Garton
15 Jul 1992

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=13808.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The walls of two churches remain within a subrectagular enclosure, possibly of early or medieval date (Harbison, Guide, p.59). The smaller church has deep antae and a lintelled doorway; inside is a slab which tradition holds indicates the grave of the founding saint. The larger and later church had a nave and chancel, but is without any features, and the walls only remain to a height of c.0.60 m.


The monastery can probably be identified as Tulach-min-Molaga, founded by St Molagga, of Timoleague and Lann Beachaire, in the 7thc. (Gwynn & Hadcock). Its current name, literally, 'Molaga's bed', probably refers to the saint's final resting place or grave here.




Loose Sculpture


Although it has been suggested that the style of the smaller church could be 12thc, the scholarly consensus has more recently identified it as an early pre-Romanesque church, one of the so-called shrine chapels which monumentalise the founder's grave, and probably pre-dating the year 1000. As such, it can be compared with Temple Ciaran in Clonmacnois, Co. Offaly or St Declan's, Ardmore, Co. Waterford. In the late 19th c, a carved finial remained at the site, which almost certainly belonged to the smaller church. Although Romanesque finials, such as that at Kilmalkedar, Co. Kerry, survive, it is unlikely in this case that the very plain finial was this late; such finials are skeumorphs of wooden rafters and are known pictorially from the 8th c onwards. There must, however, have been some activity at the site in the 12th c, as indicated by the moulded jambstone visible in the graveyard wall. This may have come from a doorway or chancel arch in the larger church, now featureless, but whose proportions would not contradict such a date. It has also been suggested that the spiral crosier on the recumbant slab which marks the founder's grave within the smaller church, was carved on it in the 12th c (O Carragain, 'The Cult of Relics', p.172). (Ed).


H. Crawford, 'Finial Stones', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 6th series, Vol.4, 1914, pp. 171-2.

A. Gwynn and R. N. Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses: Ireland, London 1970, 396, 408.

P. Harbison, Guide to National and Historical Monuments of Ireland, Dublin 1970 (1992), 82.

Lord Killanin and M. V. Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland, Dublin 1962 (1967), 376.

T. Ó Carragáin, Churches in early medieval Ireland: architecture, ritual and memory, London 2010.

T. Ó Carragáin, 'The Architectural Setting of the Cult of Relics in Early Medieval Ireland', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland Vol.133, 2003, pp. 130-76.

T. O'Keeffe, 'Architectural Traditions of the Early Medieval Church in Munster', in M. A. Monk and J. Sheehan, eds, Early Medieval Munster: Archaeology, History and Society, Cork, 1998, pp. 112-24.