We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Fallmore, St Deirbhile

Location
(54°5′33″N, 10°6′35″W)
Fallmore, St Deirbhile
F 62 18
now Mayo
medieval St Deirbhile
  • Hazel Gardiner
Feature Sets
Description

A small, gabled, single-cell church (l. 12.19 m x w. 4.87 m), now in ruins, located in an isolated position at the tip of the Mullet Peninsular. The church has a narrow ashlar-lined, deeply-splayed E window with an arcuated lintel, and a small, narrow W doorway with inclined jambs and arcuated lintel. Eroded carving is found on the arcuated lintel and on the jambstone supporting the arch. The fabric of the church is comprised of irregular stones interspersed with large ashlar blocks.

History

Gwynne and Hadcock record that a church on this site in the 6thc. was probably built by St Dairbhile.

Features

Exterior Features

Doorways

Comments/Opinions

Leask (158) notes that 'there is some weathered interlaced ornament on a jamb-stone and incised lines bordering the arch within and without'. Petrie has an illustration showing the interlace on the reveal and the incised lines on the interior arch of the W doorway, but does not mention the carving on the exterior arch (321). Petrie believed the church to be 6thc.

Harbison suggests that the equal armed cross and the surrounding carving on the W face of the W doorway could be a representation in stone of a bronze crucifixion plaque, although he acknowledges that such an interpretation is speculative. (Harbison 1995, 12)

Gwynne and Hadcock list Fallmore in an appendix of early sites thought to have ceased to exist before the 11thc. The single cell structure, large blocks of ashlar and the inclined jambs of the doorway could be indicative of an early date although the round-headed doorway is probably 12thc. Harbison suggests that the S wall may have been extended outwards as the W doorway and E window are not in the expected alignment. (Harbison 1992, 247).

Bibliography

M. Killanin M. and Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland, London, 1962, 2nd ed. 1967, 118.

A. Gwynn and R. N Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses in Ireland, 1970, London, 403.

P. Harbison, Guide to the National and Historical Monuments of Ireland, Dublin, 1992, 247.

H. G. Leask, Irish Churches and Monastic Buildings, 1955, Volume I, 158.

P. Harbison, 'A crucifixion plaque in stone', Archaeology Ireland, Vol. 9 no. 2, 1995, 11-12.

G. Petrie, The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Ireland, anterior to the Anglo-Norman invasion, comprising an Essay on the origin and uses of the Round Towers of Ireland, Dublin, 1845, 320-322.