We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Gregory, Treneglos, Cornwall

(50°39′50″N, 4°32′13″W)
SX 208 880
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Cornwall
now Cornwall
medieval Exeter
now Truro
  • Richard Jewell
17 April 1990, 25 August 1991

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=14058.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The church was rebuilt in 1858 (tower in 1872); however, it preserves a Romanesque tympanum over the S door and a font. Both features have been dated to the first half of the 12thc.


This small church was originally built in the 12thc by Robert Fitz-William, Lord of the manor of Downeckney, who gave it, with its Chapel of Warbstow, to Tywardreath Priory (Henderson). The confirmation of the church by Bishop Chichele of Exeter was withnessed at Bodmin by Osbert, prior of Tywardreath and William, treasurer of Exeter, before February 14th 1154 (when the latter died).


Exterior Features

Exterior Decoration





Both the font and the tympanum are rather crude efforts, athough the tympanum has a certain primitive energy. Henderson's comment that they 'resemble those of Egloskerry [the tympanum] and Tremaine [the font]' and are perhaps by the same hand does not inspire one with much confidence, even though Pevsner repeated it of the tympanum, referring to a workshop rather than a hand. There is no obvious stylistic link, the N doorway tympanum at Egloskerry being the better work. However, they could be from the same workshop, as they are of the same sort of date, use the same stone and are only a few miles apart.


A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol. IV (Truro and London 1873), 242-43.

C. Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide (London 1925), 192.

N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, 2nd ed (Harmondsworth 1970), 226.

E. H. Sedding, Norman Architecture in Cornwall: A Handbook to old Cornish ecclesiastical architecture with notes on ancient manor houses (London and Truro 1909), 396-97, pl. 47.