In 1086 Chilton Candover was held by Richer from the Bishop of Winchester. This Richer is presumed to be Richer de Andely, since the de Andely family held the manor from the mid-12thc. until the 15thc., their name changing to Daundley. The advowson of the church remained with successive Lords of the Manor throughout the period. No church is mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but evidence from the fabric dates it to the 12thc. at the latest.
The church appears on the OS map surveyed in 1872, marked as 'disused'. It is said to have been pulled down in 1876 (VCH; List Description), and no image of it has been found by this author. The crypt was discovered on the site in 1927, the 1911 VCH description recording that 'nothing now remains but the graves and tombstones' on the site. The discovery was made by the Rector, Rev. E. P. Gough, on the basis of childhood memories of an elderly parishioner who remembered entering the crypt 'when a boy through a hole in the ground and kicking skulls about'. Early notices of the discovery (Shields Daily News) give little detail, but in later descriptions published when a service was held on the site in 1935 (New Milton Advertiser) more detail is included, like the old man's name (Mr. Spiers), and the story he was told by his father of the existence of a golden calf buried nearby, suggesting to some that the crypt was an ancient Mithraic site. No golden calf has yet been discovered.