We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Lundie, Angus

Lundie, Dundee DD2 5NW, UK (56°31′3″N, 3°9′15″W)
NO 290 366
pre-1975 traditional (Scotland) Angus
now Angus
medieval St. Andrews
medieval St Laurence
  • James King
  • James King
15 August 2019

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=1724.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

A section of medieval arch is built into the exterior S wall of the S porch. Various works on the church are attested during the 19thc, the most important being a major remodelling and restoration undertaken in 1893, when the S porch was added. It is generally held that this section of arch was taken from the original chancel arch of the twelfth-century church, but no documentary evidence to substantiate this claim is known to exist. The base level and certain sections of walling of much of the nave appear also to date from the original church. The parish of Lundie was joined with that of Fowlis-Easter in 1618, though the teinds for the parsonage and vicarage of Lundie had already been annexed to the prebends of Fowlis-Easter Collegiate Church sometime between 1522 and 1538. Lady Duncan was responsible for the erection of a mausoleum off the east end of the church, which was built in memory of her husband, Sir William Duncan, in 1787-9. Before this was added, the old chancel arch was still visible, as seen in a print of 1786 (see: MacGibbon and Ross).


Nothing appears to be known about Lundie before the 12th century, and even then there are very few documents that mention it. There are at least two different views as to where the name originates. One suggestion is that is of Gaelic origin ‘Linn-De’, which means ‘water or pool of God’. The second suggestion is that it comes from the family name Lundin, which comes from the English family name of Londiniis. During the reign of William king of Scotland (1165-1214), a donation of land next to his lake at Lundin was made to the church of St Andrews by Walter of Lundin: ‘Walter de Lundin. viginti acras terre iuxta lacum suum de Lundin’. In the Taxatio Ecclesiasitca of the 2nd half of the 13th century, the church of 'Lundyn' with chapel is listed under the churches of Angus with a value of 24 marks. In Bagimond’s Roll (for the Tenth of the Holy Land in the kingdom of Scotland), dated 1275, it is listed under the archdeaconry of St Andrews as ‘Ecclesia de Lundi ij marc. et dimid.’. The church of St Laurence at Lundie belonged to the priory of St Andrews, founded in 1144. Amongst the charters of King David II of Scotland (1329-1371), is one to John Iles concerning the reversion of the barony of Lundie in Forfarshire.


Exterior Features



There are certain discrepancies in the coursing of the exterior nave walls, which suggest changes. The first of these involves the early base course, which does not extend as far as the present E wall of the nave. The end stone of the early base course on the N side of the nave appears to turn inward, which would suggest a corner at this point. The ashlar stones above, and to the west of this corner stone do not course with the stonework east of this. The second anomaly concerns the narrow nave window on the N exterior. The coursing of stone around it does not match the stonework either side of it.

The sawtooth arch, which is not of an early form, along with the surviving documentation appear to suggest a date no earlier than the 2nd half of the 12thc for the oldest parts of the church.


The Bannatyne Club, Liber Cartarum Prioratus Sancti Andree, Edinburgh, 1841, 35, 231, 235 and 263.

I. Cowan, The Parishes of Medieval Scotland, Edinburgh, 1967, 141.

R. Fawcett, J. Luxford, R. Oram and T. Turpie, Corpus of Scottish Medieval Parish Churches, http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/corpusofscottishchurches

J. Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Dundee and Angus, New Haven and London, 2012, 602-3.

A. Hally, ‘United Parishes of Lundie and Foulis’, The Statistical Account of Scotland, 7 (Edinburgh, 1793), 281-8.

T. Irvine, ‘Parish of Lundie and Fowlis’, The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 11, Edinburgh and London, 1845, 455-68.

D. MacGibbon and T. Ross, The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland, 3, Edinburgh, 1897, 382-3.

J. MacKinlay, Ancient Church Dedications in Scotland, Non-Scriptural Dedications, Edinburgh, 1914, 393.

W. Robertson, An Index, drawn up about the Year 1629, of many Records of Charters (Edinburgh, 1798), 51 no. 21 and 139 no. 16.

Scottish History Society, ‘Bagimond’s Roll’, Miscellany of the Scottish History Society, 6 (Edinburgh, 1939), 36.

J. Thomson, ed., The Register of the Great Seal of Scotland A.D. 1306-1424, 1 (new edition) Edinburgh, 1912, 605 nos. 1370 and (21).