We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Lydiard Millicent, Wiltshire

(51°34′22″N, 1°52′1″W)
Lydiard Millicent
SU 093 860
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Wiltshire
now Wiltshire
medieval Old Sarum
now Bristol
medieval unknown
now All Saints
  • Allan Brodie
13 May 1994, 11 April 2004

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=2946.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Lydiard Millicent is a village about 3.5 miles W of Swindon. The name Lydiard may derive from the Old English word meaning 'gate by the ford' and the complete name is first recorded in 1268 (Lydyerd Mylisent, see History). All Saints church lies to the NW of the village and was possibly built on the site of a pre-Norman church. The present building dates from the 14th and 15thc and consists of a chancel, nave, N and S aisles, and S porch; the W vestry was added in 1924. However, the font probably dates from the late 12thc.


Lydiard is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1066 as a manor of Godric; in 1086 the lordship passed to Geoffrey de Clinton. Its value was of £12. William FitzOsbern, Earl of Hereford and founder of Cormeilles Abbey (Normandy) also held the manor; between 1066 and 1075 the church was granted to the abbey by his family. Following Roger FitzOsbern's rebellion against King William, his possessions including the manor of Lydiard were confiscated and the manor became the King's land. In the late 12thc Lydiard was held by Millicent (or Milsent) de Clinton, and the name of the village derives from her. The de Clinton family was in possession of the manor until the middle of the 15thc, when it was acquired by Robert Andrews and, a few years later, by Robert Turgis.





Victoria County History: Wiltshire. IV (1959), 329, 333, 402, 405.

N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 94.

DCMS Listing Description.