We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Lockington, Yorkshire, East Riding

(53°54′27″N, 0°29′1″W)
SE 997 468
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Yorkshire, East Riding
now East Riding of Yorkshire
medieval York
now York
medieval St Mary
now St Mary
  • Cristian Ispir
  • Rita Wood
29 August 2003

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3423.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The church has a nave, a chancel and S chapel; the nave is unusually low between the tower and the high-roofed chancel. The fabric, as well as the shape, is very mixed, with a good deal of brickwork patching, and the general effect is light-hearted. The chancel arch, cut away in medieval times, has its odd space complemented by a Victorian screen. The S chapel is also known as the Constable chapel due to the fact it was restored by Rev. Charles Constable of Wassan in 1851, but it commemorates the De Mauleys family. Around its walls there is a pattern of armorials, and the focus is a beautifully painted monument to a Stuart lady. The S doorway was unblocked in the 1893 restoration; the W doorway was blocked and turned into a window. The W end of the church was not accessible at the time of visit. The S doorway, the remains of the chancel arch, the N wall of the nave and some Norman stringcourse, both inside and outside, are Romanesque. The font is possibly 12thc, although not very typical.


The church was possibly built on an Anglo-Saxon burial site, since a brooch and some beads were found in 1893 when excavations for the new heating chamber were made (Steel, 2). The Domesday Book records several lords in 1066: Thorkil, Sprot, Wulfstan, Orm, Gamal, and Uhtred; in 1086, the manor was held by Nigel Fossard. His grandson, William Fossard, is considered to have built the Norman church. He died in 1169, and was buried at Meaux (Steel, 3). A priest, Thurstan, is known in 1154 (Steel, 8).


Exterior Features


Exterior Decoration

String courses

Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches

Interior Decoration

String courses




It is unusual to find engaged half-column moundings on the 1st order of a doorway, and equally unusual is the fact that the chancel arch jamb to N and S is flat, as seen from the original imposts and shafting, which continues in place. The normal cross-sections used on doorway and chancel arch have been interchanged.

The capitals of the S doorway are a good comparison for the two reset capitals from Holme-on-the-Wolds which are at Etton. There are similar foliage and flat spirals on each, and the figure of a man. One may suppose that Lockington had star patterns on some of the damaged faces of its capitals. Holme may have had chevron arches - its missing chevron voussoirs may have been of the types used at Lockington.

The inverted man on the 1st order capital of the S doorway appears to be a falling figure, and the author suggests a soul in heaven. Comparisons may be made with similar figures on the tympanum of the N doorway at Linley, Shropshire, or in Selby Abbey, pier 4 of S arcade. His eyes are like those of the man on one of the capitals from Holme-on-the-Wolds now at Etton. The plain and heavy neckings of the S doorway capitals appear too big for the columns of orders two and three (compare with Austerfield, YW).

The label of S doorway can be compared with W doorway of Etton.

The font may have been 12thc in origin, but has been much altered.


J. E. Morris, The East Riding of Yorkshire, 1906, 2nd ed., 1919, 256-7

N. Pevsner and D. Neave, The Buildings of England Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd ed., London, 1995, 598-600

A. Steel, A History of St Mary's Church Lockington, Beverley 1975, revised and up-dated by R.Hateley and M. Munro-Hill, Beverley, 2001.