We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St George, Clun, Shropshire

(52°25′8″N, 3°1′50″W)
SO 300 806
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Shropshire
now Shropshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St George
now St George
  • Barbara Zeitler
31 August 1998

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3489.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The church has a 19thc. chancel; a 12thc. nave with aisles, extensively restored in 19thc., and a W tower. The N nave aisle has a two-storey porch with a timber-framed gable at the W end, protecting a 12thc doorway, and at the E end of the N nave aisle is a 13thc doorway with a pointed arch and dogtooth ornament, and a 12thc head corbel reset above it. The nave arcades are of four bays with single-stepped arches. The westernmost arch in the S arcade is round and plain. Other arches are pointed, with some sculptural decoration. There is a clerestory with round-headed windows in S wall of nave, but no N clerestory. Round-headed window in W wall of nave. Fortified W tower c.1200 with a W doorway of the same date. The building was restored in 1877 by G. E. Street.


Clun was held by Picot from Earl Roger in 1086, and by Eadric before the Conquest. It was assessed at 15 hides, 2 of which were held from Picot by Walter. The manor also had a mill. c.1190 Isabella of Say, baroness of Clun Castle, gave St George's, together with St Swithun's, Clunbury, to Much Wenlock Priory (see Clunbury).


Exterior Features


Exterior Decoration

Corbel tables, corbels

Interior Features



Label stops on N doorway are probably 13thc. The N aisle doorway and its relationship to the N aisle are difficult to date. The animal head above the N aisle doorway recalls the head of a bear on the W corbel table at Diddlebury. The weathered human head above the W doorway resembles that above the W doorway at Diddlebury.


Anon, Brief Notes on St. George's Church, Clun, n.d.

English Heritage, EH Listed Building 257178

L. Garner, Churches of Shropshire, Shropshire Books, 1994, 54-6.

N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 107-8.