We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Brandesburton, Yorkshire, East Riding

(53°54′48″N, 0°17′46″W)
TA 120 477
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Yorkshire, East Riding
now East Riding of Yorkshire
medieval York
now York
medieval St Mary
now St Mary
  • Rita Wood
23 Jun 2005

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3492.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The church has a varied fabric: boulders from glacial deposits, and medieval brick with stone dressings. It is mostly 15thc, with an aisled nave, a choir and a W tower.

There is a small round-headed priest’s doorway, and fragments of more certainly dated twelfth-century reset in the tower. The N and S arcades, although pointed, have details of 12th-century type.


DB mentions that there is one carucate for geld, one clerk has one plough, one villein and eight acres of meadow there. However, there is no mention of a church. VCH II, p.216.

Four of the seven pre-Conquest manors plus 11 carucates passed to William Malet, and by 1086 to Drew de Bevrere. Later they were a part of the Aumale fee. Part of Drew’s estate in 1086 was occupied by a knight, and Richard de St Quintin probably held much of Brandesburton in 1166. His son Herbert had inherited this by 1194.

In 1086, the archbishop had a berewick of one carucate at Brandesburton, which was already assigned to his church of St John of Beverley, the eventual patron of Brandesburton church.


Exterior Features


Interior Features



Interior Decoration


The church was restored in 1889-1892 by W.S. Weatherley (Pevsner and Neave 1995, 336-7).

The fragments in the tower lobby are from the first half of the 12thc. A similar stringcourse was seen at Fangfoss and Etton.

The arcades. Pevsner and Neave 1995, 336, say: 'Wide 13thc nave with arcades of five bays; all but one of the piers are rounded, the arches double-chamfered.' However, the arcades have relevant details which are the result partly of reuse (bases to Piers 4), and partly of persistence of practice (label-stops). The label stops, which are recorded here, are reminiscent of stops at (Great) Driffield, and perhaps Wighill (YW).


J. E. Morris, The East Riding of Yorkshire. 2nd ed. (1906) 1919.

N. Pevsner & D. Neave, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd. ed. London, 1995, pp. 336-7.

Victoria County History: East Riding of Yorkshire. VII (Holderness Wapentake, north and middle sections). 2002.

Victoria County History: Yorkshire. II (General volume, including Domesday Book) 1912, reprinted 1974.