Tangley belonged to Faccombe in 1086. Although the church appears to have originated in the 12thc., by the early 14thc. the inhabitants of Tangley were attending Faccombe church, 8km to the NE. They petitioned the bishop of Winchester, requesting their own priest, and the chapel was subsequently consecrated by Bishop Henry Woodlock (1305-1316). It continued as a dependency of Faccombe until the 1870s.
Until its demolition c.1872, Tangley church was ‘a small antique edifice with a low wooden tower’ (White’s Directory of Hampshire, 1859, 464). Plans dated 1871 and 1876 show that it had a rectangular plan, encompassing a chancel and nave (Lambeth Palace Library ICBS 07367). It was rebuilt on the old footprint by the architect William White, who added the apse, the N transept, the S porch and, to the NW, a warming chamber. Part of a (previously blocked) pointed apse arch, built of chalk, was retained, and the semi-circular apse erected on newly-discovered foundations.
The W tower, also designed by William White, was built in 1897-1898. Four bells were hung there in 1900.