Clatford was held by Saxi in 1066, and by the King in demesne in 1086, when it was valued at 4½ hides. It had been held by Roger de Breteuil, Earl of Hereford, who inherited it from his father, William fitzOsbern, but was forfeited when Roger rebelled against the king in 1074-75. While it was held by fitzOsbern, 3 virgates were given to the Abbey of Lyre, which he founded in 1045, and 1 virgate to Adelina the Jester. Aumary de Turnebu was recorded as lord but he was dead by 1195. In 1204 King John granted custody of the manor to High de Nevill, and in the following year he gave it to William de Huntingfield. More of the rapidly changing ownership of the manor may be found in the VCH. Until the Alien Priories lost their rights, the advowson of the church was held by the Abbey of Lyre which had retained the holding they had received from William fitzOsbern.
The original church had a 12thc. nave and chancel and a N nave aisle was added later in the same century. A W tower was added in 1578, possibly replacing an earlier one. In the 17thc. the arcade was removed, and the nave widened to subsume the aisle. The chancel was also widened at this time, and 2 bays of the late-12thc. nave arcade were installed as a double chancel arch at that time. A new N aisle with an arcade of 3 bays was added in 1890, the chancel was lengthened in 1894, and the vestry was added in 1903. In 1998 a church room known as the Meadow Room was built on the N side of the building.