We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Andrew, Little Glemham, Suffolk

(52°10′35″N, 1°25′52″E)
Little Glemham
TM 347 587
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Suffolk
now Suffolk
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=4653.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Little Glemham is in central E Suffolk, between Wickham Market and Saxmundham, in the rolling arable land W of the Alde valley. Great Glemham, 2 miles to the N, is rather larger but both villages border the parklands of their respective halls; Great Glemham lying to the W of Glemham House, and Little Glemham to the SW of Glemham Hall. St Andrew's lies on the southern edge of Glemham Hall Park, 0.4 mile NE of the village centre. The church consists of a flint nave with a S porch of knapped flint, a large transeptal N chapel of knapped flint, a brick chancel and a flint W tower. The nave retains its 12thc. N doorway, but its windows and porch are 15thc. The tower is 15thc. with a polygonal SE stair, diagonal buttresses decorated with flushwork and a battlemented parapet, also with flushwork decoration. The W window and doorway are 15thc. and there are niches containing carved figures above the W doorway and the S porch entrance. The chancel is 18thc. and the N chapel was built to house the N family mausoleum, and is dominated by a large seated figure of Sir Dudley North (d.1829). The church was restored in 1857-58 by J. P. St Aubyn, the work including reseating, work on the gallery and repairs to the roof and windows. The only Romanesque sculpture is on the N doorway.


Before the Conquest, Uhtred held 20 acres of ploughland in Little Glemham with 1½ acres of meadow. This was held by Count Alan in 1086, and is the only land in the vill noted in the Domesday Survey, although Count Alan and his tenants also held land and half a church in Great Glemham. Great and Little Glemham apparently passed to a family living at Glemham Hall who took their name from the place. The earliest reference is in the Calendar of Feet of Fines, and records William de Glemham in 1228-29. The estate remained in the Glemham family until 1708-09, when it was sold to Dudley North. The male line of the Norths ended in 1764 with the death of another Dudley North, and the estate passed to his sister, Mrs Herbert. On her death it passed to her nephew, Dudley Long, on the condition that he changed his surname to North. He was happy to comply, and it is his mausoleum that stands on the north side of the church. He died without issue in 1829.

Benefice of Sternfield, Benhall, Snape, Great Glemham and Little Glemham, Blaxhall with Stratford St. Andrew and Farnham.


Exterior Features



Similar beaker clasp and cushion capitals of similar form (though without the trefoil cusping) are found on the clunch W doorway of St Andrew’s, Westhall some 14 miles to the north. A similarc.1140 date is suggested for this doorway.

D. P. Mortlock, The Popular Guide to Suffolk Churches: 3 East Suffolk. Cambridge 1992.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Harmondsworth 1961, rev. E. Radcliffe 1975, 336.