We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Sancton, Yorkshire, East Riding

(53°50′38″N, 0°38′0″W)
SE 900 395
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Yorkshire, East Riding
now East Riding of Yorkshire
medieval York
now York
  • Rita Wood
03 Oct 2005, 24 Feb 2016

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=4774.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The village is on the route of the Roman road from Brough to Malton, where a valley opens from the E in the Wolds escarpment; the church stands on the N side of the valley. It has chancel, nave with N and S porches, and octagonal Perpendicular W tower. ‘Apart from the tower the whole church was rebuilt, using a few old features, in 1869-71 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York’ (Butler 2007, 354, note; citing Borthwick Institute Fac. 1868/13). Inside, the tower arch has a few voussoirs with chevron mouldings, and higher in the wall is a large double scallop capital; all reset.


In 1066, fifteen carucates were held by Norman son of Malcolumbe. The estate passed to William Malet and then to his son Robert, but by 1086 it belonged to Gilbert Tison, and was held of him by three knights, in the twelfth century by the Anlaby and Sancton families. It was granted to Watton priory probably in the later thirteenth century (VCHER IV 1979, 156).

Remains of a large Anglo-Saxon cemetery were found W of the church (Pevsner and Neave 1995, 667). There was a church at Sancton in 1086 (VCH II, 1912, 273). After 1250 the medieties were consolidated and in 1310 the church was appropriated to Watton priory.

Sir Stephen Glynne visited in 1863, before the Victorian rebuilding. He noted the exterior was ‘much patched and mutilated’ and that ‘the priests’ [sic] door is obtuse – Early English on imposts’ (Butler 2007, 354). In 1869-71, ‘the church was rebuilt in the E.E. style… but old evidence was used (copied rather than actually used) in the lancets and the priest’s doorway of the chancel’ (Pevsner and Neave 1995, 667); the rebuilt doorway is round-headed.


Interior Features

Interior Decoration


Loose Sculpture


The double scallop capital is an unusually large one and may have belonged to a previous tower arch or a chancel arch; Glynne reported the absence of a chancel arch (Butler 2007, 354) and it is not known if there had been an earlier tower.


Faculty papers with plans, Borthwick Institute Fac. 1868/13; Fac. 1878/13

L. A. S. Butler, ed., The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874). Y. A. Soc. Record series 159, Woodbridge 2007.

N. Pevsner and D. Neave, The Buildings of England Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd. ed. London, 1995.

Victoria County History: East Riding of Yorkshire. IV (Harthill Wapentake, Hunsley Beacon section). 1979.

Victoria County History of Yorkshire, II, reprinted 1974.