We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Linton by Ross, Herefordshire

(51°55′33″N, 2°29′45″W)
Linton by Ross
SO 660 254
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
  • Ron Baxter
17 June 2009

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5089.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Linton is a village in S Herefordshire, 4 miles E of Ross-on-Wye. It extends along a low ridge in the E bank of the Rudhall Brook, a tributary of the Wye that joins the river at Ross. The church is an imposing and architecturally complex one, consisting of a chancel, a long aisled nave and a W tower with a spire. Both aisles extend the full length of the nave. The N aisle is 12thc, and separated from the central vessel by an arcade of 2 full bays with a short bay at the E end. This arcade takes up slightly more than half of the length of the aisle, which is separated from the nave at the W end by a plain wall, presumed to belong to a Norman W tower.. The S arcade is of 3 bays; the 2 E bays 13thc while the W bay corresponds to a 14thc extension of the aisle. The S doorway is largely overbuilt, but the W jamb survives. There is also N doorway, 13thc under a 13thc porch, and the tower is 14thc. On the S wall of the N aisle, originally an exterior wall, is a section of 12thc stringcourse. Construction is of sandstone rubble. The church was restored in 1875 and the spire repaired in 1904 and 1913.


Linton was held by the King William in 1086, and by King Edward before the Conquest. It was assessed at 5 hides, but was said to be ‘greatly decreased’. A virgate of land in this manor was held by William FitzBaderon.


Exterior Features


Interior Features



Interior Decoration

String courses

The evidence suggests that there was originally a nave with at least a N aisle and a W tower, perhaps dating from c.1100. The N arcade was later remodelled and the round pier, scallop capital and imposts belong to this phase, as does the S doorway and probably the tower stringcourse. The S aisle was added in the 13thc, and in the 14thc the entire church was extended by a bay, incorporating the old tower on the N side but adding a bay to the arcade on the S. The present tower was added around the same time. This is substantially the view taken by Brooks (2012), and is a modification of that given in Pevsner (1963) who omits the earliest phase.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 470-71.

Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 7309

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 234.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 119-22.