We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Enford, Wiltshire

(51°15′51″N, 1°47′57″W)
SU 141 517
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Wiltshire
now Wiltshire
medieval Salisbury
now Salisbury
  • Allan Brodie
  • John Wand
9 June 1995

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5298.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Enford is a village about ten miles SE of Devizes on the river Avon. The church lies to the centre of the village and consists of a limestone building of a chancel, an aisled nave, a S porch and a W tower. The building has Anglo-Saxon origins: remnants of this phase are the walls of the tall and narrow nave, which are considerably thick. The church was renovated in the 12thc, and surviving features of this period are the N arcade - of the mid 12thc - and the S arcade - dating to the late 12thc. The form of the arcades both suggest that there was originally an aisleless nave into which the arcades were inserted. In the south-east corner there is a length of shaft approximately 4m high which may be a remnant of the earlier form of the nave. The chancel arch, with its trumpet scallops and double chamfered arch, dates from the first half of the 13thc; the S door of the nave also dates from the 13thc. In the early 14thc the N aisle was rebuilt and various alterations were made in the 14th and 15thc, including adding the W tower. Its spire fell in 1817 necessitating repairs to the nave. The church was restored in 1825-30 by J. Benoni White of Devizes and in 1892-3 by C. E. Ponting.


The Domesday Survey records that in 1066 'Enediorde' was held by the Bishop of Winchester, who administrator the manor also in 1086. In the same year, Enford was also under the lordship of Harold of Westlecott and William.

There was probably a church on the estate of the cathedral monks of Winchester at Enford in 1086. As mentioned in the Domesday Survey, it was possibly served by the priest who then held land, presumably for his support, within that estate. In the 12th and 13thc however the bishop's patronage was disputed by the convent of St. Swithun. The quarrel was resolved in 1284 when St. Swithun's finally acknowledged the bishop's right. A vicarage was ordained in 1270 and augmented in 1292. In 1291 the vicarage was assessed for taxation at £5. In 1290 the bishop granted the advowson of the rectory to the convent of St. Swithun, lords of the capital manor, who appropriated the church the following year.


Interior Features



The nave arcades were illustrated by Buckler in the early 19thc. An additional dedication to St. Margaret occurs in the 1890s: a mistake arose because of a misidentification with Poughley Priory in Chaddleworth (Berkshire) which was dedicated to St. Margaret and stood on a site called 'Ellenfordemere'.


Wiltshire Archives D1/61/36/9, Lambeth Palace Library, ICBS 9648 ff 1-46 (C. E. Ponting 1892).

J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, vol. 8, pl. 46.

Historic England listing 1300358.

Lambeth Palace Library, ICBS 1020 (P. Hardwick and B. White 1818).

N. A. H. Lawrance, The History of Enford, 1973.

C. E. Ponting, 'The Churches of Bulford, Enford and Fittleton', Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, 31 (1901), 68-78.

N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, Harmondsworth 1975, 239-40.

A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11, Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred. Victoria County History, London 1980, 115-34.