We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Michael and All Angels, Edvin Ralph, Herefordshire

(52°12′52″N, 2°31′15″W)
Edvin Ralph
SO 645 575
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
  • Ron Baxter
24 June 2006

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5353.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Edvin Ralph is in the NE of the county, 2 miles N of Bromyard. The landscape here is hilly and wooded; the topography governed by the valleys of the river Frome and its tributaries. The village is now clustered around the road running N from Bromyard towards Tenbury Wells, but the church stands a half-mile to the SE of the village centre, alongside a motte and bailey, and this may represent the original centre.

St Michael’s is of coursed sandstone rubble and consists of a nave with a S porch and a N vestry, a chancel of similar height but separately roofed, and a W tower with a short broach spire. The S nave doorway and one N chancel window indicate that nave and chancel are 12thc. The vestry is 19thc, and the N doorway, now inside the vestry, is a 14thc build using some 12thc stones. The W tower is short and unbuttressed with lancet windows and plain pointed double bell-openings indicating an early 13thc date. Inside there is no chancel arch, and the broad 13thc tower arch is left open to allow access to a display of 13thc and 14thc tomb effigies moved from the chancel. The church was partially rebuilt and reseated by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford in 1862-63. The only Romanesque sculpture is on the S nave doorway and the N chancel window.


Edvin Ralph is not recorded in the Domesday Survey by name, but Osbern fitzRichard had two holdings in Edevent and Ladevent, recorded under Worcestershire and Gloucestershire respectively. These are assumed to correspond to Edvin Ralph or Edvin Loach, or both. The name of Rodolphus de Yedefen first appeared c.1175, when this family were the lords of the manor. The effigies under the tower include one of c.1325 to Maud de Edefin, wife of Sir Thomas de Edefin, and the Edefin arms also appear on a late 13thc monument.


Exterior Features




Zarnecki describes the work as "crude and very rustic" and dates it early 12thc. Brooks and Pevsner (2012) use "crude" in the description too, although Pevsner on his own preferred "primitive".


Anon., St Michael and All Angels Church Edvin Ralph. Edvin Ralph 2002

F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, 3 vols, London 1899, 115.

A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 225.

Herefordshire Sites & Monuments Record 8241

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 127.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 77

G. Zarnecki, CRSBI archive. Edvin Ralph.