We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Easington, Oxfordshire

(51°25′20″N, 1°2′31″W)
SU 667 697
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Oxfordshire
now Oxfordshire
medieval St Peter
now St Peter
  • Nicola Lowe
01 November 2016, 11 March 2017

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5484.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Easington is a tiny hamlet in the parish of Cuxham with Easington, three miles NW of Watlington towards the S of the county. The small, single cell church of St Peter is found at the end of a farm track across open fields, sandwiched between barns and a farmhouse. It consists of continuous nave and chancel with no chancel arch, red tile roof, N porch and W gable bell-cote. It dates to the 14thc but retains a 12thc doorway reused in the N nave wall. Two fragments of curved Romanesque zigzag moulding are re-set side by side over a window in the S nave wall exterior. The tub-shaped font dates also to the 12thc.


In 1086, Robert, son of Ralph, held two estates, Easington and Ewelme, both in the Hundred of Benson. Easington was much the smaller of the two, comprising only seven households with land for two plough teams, one being the lord’s. It was valued at £2 in comparison with Ewelme’s £6. The Domesday Survey does not mention a church but there presumably was one, indicated by the Romanesque material reused in the present building.


Exterior Features






Incised crosses round doorways have been variously interpreted as votive marks, ritual protection marks, pilgrim crosses or marks witnessing oaths and vows such as marriage vows made in the church porch. Although these examples are incised on 12thc material, it is not possible to date them as the same designs also occur in later contexts such as the 14thc doorway at Combe Longa, Oxfordshire.

The slight curve and finished upper edge on the zigzag mouldings suggest they were originally part of a round window or arch surround.

The runnel encircling the font at its mid point may be a shallow decoration or, if it runs right through, a join mark. If so, the bowl was made in two halves.


F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England's Patron Saints, 3, London 1899, 112.

M. Champion, Medieval Graffiti: The Lost Voices of England's Churches, London 2015, 63-9.

J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, Harmondsworth 1974, 591.