We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Fornham All Saints, Suffolk

(52°16′36″N, 0°41′33″E)
Fornham All Saints
TL 838 677
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Suffolk
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5725.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

The river Lark cuts through the Fornhams (All Saints on the W side of the valley and St Martin and St Genevieve on the east) after passing through Bury St Edmunds on its way to join the Great Ouse near Ely. Fornham All Saints is only half a mile from the northern outskirts of Bury, but retains its village character. All Saints church has a nave with S aisle and S porch, a chancel, N chapel and W tower. The earliest work is the 12thc. S doorway, heavily restored. The nave, however, was rebuiltc.1300 (one Y-tracery S window), and the porch was added in the 15thc. The S aisle was then added, abutting the E wall of the porch, but extending alongside the chancel to form a S chapel. The chancel itself is 14thc., with a three-light reticulated E window and flowing tracery windows on the N side. Its piscine is curiously placed to the W of the sedilia. On the N a chapel was added in the 15thc. with a squint to the main altar. The tower is 13thc. in its lower parts, with simple lancets. The bell-storey is ofc.1300 and there is a battlemented parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles. The restoration was by Sir Arthur Blomfield, in the 1860s, and he replaced the aisle and chancel roofs, renewed most of the windows to their original designs, restored the porch and added the tower pinnacles. Romanesque sculpture is found on the restored S doorway.


Fornham All Saints was held as a manor by St Edmundsbury abbey, before and after the Conquest. This manor had 1 carucate of ploughland with 4 acres of meadow. In 1086 there were also 2 free men here holding 11/2 carucates of land that they could sell, although the sake and soke and commendation remained with the abbey. There was a church with 12 acres of free land. The manor was held by the abbey until the Reformation.

Lark Valley benefice: Culford, West Stow and Wordwell, Flempton with Hengrave, Lackford, Fornham All Saints, Timworth and Fornham St Martin.


Exterior Features



The use of stiff leaf on the capitals, and the deeply hollowed chamfers of the imposts point to a date around the year 1200 for the S doorway.

H. M. Cautley, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures. London 1937.
D. P. Mortlock, The Popular Guide to Suffolk Churches: 1 West Suffolk. Cambridge 1988, 74-75.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Harmondsworth 1961, rev. E. Radcliffe 1975, 215.