We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Andrew, Evesbatch, Herefordshire

(52°7′49″N, 2°27′36″W)
SO 686 481
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St Andrew
now St Andrew
  • Ron Baxter
02 November 2017

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5842.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Evesbatch is a village in the E of the county, 4 miles SE of Bromyard and 12 miles NE of Hereford. The village is surrounded by farmland and orchards, and stands at the N end of the Leadon valley. The church is in the centre of the village and consists of a chancel with a N vestry and a nave of coursed red sandstone rubble, a S porch and a timber W bell turret with a pyramid roof. Most of the fabric dates to a restoration of 1877 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford, but earlier features survive including the Romanesque font (the only feature recorded here), some of the masonry of the S doorway, possibly one N nave window in a 14thc style, the nave roof, which may be late-medieval, and some of the benches.


Evesbatch was held by Odo from Roger de Lacy in 1086, and by Almaeligir, Aeligilfric and Thorkil as 3 manors from Earl Harold in 1066. It was assessed at 1 hide.





RCHME offers a 12thc date for the font. Pevsner (1963) managed to describe the 17thc font cover without mentioning the font itself.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 228.

J. Duncumb, Collections towards the history and antiquities of Hereford. V. Hundred of Grimsworth. By the Rev. E. G. Wright, 1897

Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6875

Historic England Listed Building, English Heritage Legacy ID: 151199

G. Marshall, “Fonts in Herefordshire”, Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, II (1950), 36.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 128.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 78-79.