We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Guthlac, Fishtoft, Lincolnshire

(52°57′45″N, 0°1′45″E)
TF 364 425
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Lincolnshire
now Lincolnshire
  • Thomas E. Russo

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=5881.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


This is a large Fenland parish church. The evidence of the lancet windows and a clerestory lancet headstone suggest that the chancel and nave were rebuilt during the 13thc. The S arcade is of the 14thc. while the N arcade, clerestory, and W tower are all later medieval work. There was a major restoration in 1853-54 under the direction of the rector, Rev. Henry Holdsworth during which the S porch was completely rebuilt and the vestry added. Extant Romanesque features are the priest's doorway, segments of the chancel string course, and numerous re-set stones in the chancel, nave, and aisle walls.


The Domesday Survey records that among the land held by Guy of Craon, the village of [Fish]'Toft' had both a church and a priest in 1086. Thompson, following Dugdale's Monasticon, cites a 12thc. charter in which Alan de Croun presents the church at Toft to Croyland Abbey (along with Freiston church and others) for the founding of a cell of monks from Croyland; this cell was established at Freiston.


Exterior Features


Interior Features

Interior Decoration

String courses

The insertion of the 13thc. lancet window directly above the priest's doorway has resulted in the square door heading here. The fluted E capital on the priest's doorway is similar to those used by Fowler for his reconstruction of the S aisle doorway at the neighboring church of Freiston, St. James. Thompson notes that the re-set stones inside the church were discovered in their current positions when the plaster was removed from the walls during Holdsworth's renovation of 1853-54.


Domesday Book, 57, 37.

Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, London, 1990, 277-8.

Thompson, The History and Antiquities of Boston. Boston, 1856, 484-489; 508.