We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Standon, Staffordshire

(52°54′43″N, 2°16′8″W)
SJ 820 350
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Staffordshire
now Staffordshire
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=7194.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

All Saints, Standon is wildly asymmetrical inside and out. From within it can be seen to have an aisled nave with a clerestory on the N but not the S. The N arcade is of two 13thc. bays but occupies only the eastern part of the nave. To the W on this side is a stretch of 12thc. walling that still contains the original N doorway, which is thus inside the church now (as is the case with the S doorway at Rolleston on Dove). The S arcade is much taller, too tall to accommodate a clerestory above it, and is of two and a half bays; the half-arch bearing on the W wall of the nave. The W tower is not set symmetrically between the arcades, but is set towards the S. Its S wall is in line with the S arcade but its N wall is well inside the line of the N arcade. The tall 14thc. tower arch is thus place to the S of the nave rather than in the centre. Further confusion at the W end has been caused by the later additions. The S aisle has been extended alongside the tower as far as its W face. There is also an addition to the N of the tower, but it extends only as far as the line of the N arcade. In compensation, however, it is much taller, and a large and entirely inappropriate window has been inserted in the W wall of the nave to provide it with some indirect light. The result of all this is the bizarrely calligraphic outline of the W elevation of the church. At the E, the chancel is by Scott, of 1846-47 in a 13thc. style. He chose to line up the chancel fairly between the nave arcades. There is an organ loft to the N of the chancel, and a vestry to the S. It is difficult to suggest a logical sequence of building that would have resulted in All Saints Standon, and the old views in the William Salt Library do not help much. SV IX 122a and 136a, of 1837 and 1841 respectively, show the SE view before the restoration, with no vestry to the S of the chancel and with S aisle with a gablet. SV IX 131 is a similar view after the restoration, showing the new form of the aisle and the new vestry in place. SV IX 130 is a SW view of 1847 that shows the rebuilt S aisle, and shows too that the W elevation was much the same then as it is now. The only Romanesque feature of the church is the N doorway.


Immediately before the Conquest Siward held Standon, and in 1086 it was held by Brian from Robert of Stafford. A priest was recorded at that time.

Benefice of Swynnerton and Tittensor.


Exterior Features



The N doorway is a heavily restored piece ofc.1100; boldly if inaccurately made, large in scale and tall for its width. Its sculpture was repsumably enlivened by paint originally, but none has survived.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire. Harmondsworth 1974, 251-52.
E. Salt, The History of Standon: Parish, Manour and Church, with 200 Years of Registers. Birmingham 1888.
Staffordshire County Council, Staffordshire Views Collection nos SV IX 121b, 122a, 130, 131, 136a, 137. Available online at http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=47,71124and_dad=portaland_schema=PORTAL