We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Dilwyn, Herefordshire

(52°11′14″N, 2°51′25″W)
SO 415 547
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St Mary
now St Mary
  • Ron Baxter
11 July 2012

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=7680.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Dilwyn is a village in the N of the county, 6 miles WSW of Leominster. The church is in the village centre, built of local sandstone rubble and ashlar, and consists of a chancel, an aisled nave with 5-bay arcades and a transeptal N chapel. The S doorway is 13thc, under a14thc porch, while the N doorway is blocked. The W tower is slightly displaced to the S, and is the oldest part of the church dating from c.1200. There are Romanesque windows in its N, S and W faces. A disused font is also 12thc work. The font in current use is a 14thc piece sited in the centre of the nave at the W end.


The chief manor in Dilwyn was held by Edwin in 1066, and by William d’Ecouis in 1086. It was valued at 3 hides. William also held a manor that was held by Leominster Abbey before it was dissolved in the 11thc, by Almaer in 1066, and by Richard from William of Ecouis in 1086. It was assessed at 1 hide. A third manor of 1 hide in the same vill, also held by William in 1086, had been held by Earnwig in 1066.


Exterior Features





In view of the fact that the 1st-storey S tower window has a dogtooth label it seems likely that the lower storeys of the tower are 13thc rather than 12thc.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 195-97.

Historic England Listed Building 149798

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 110-12.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 3: North-west, 1934, 36-43.