The Cotswold village of Upper Slaughter is 4 miles (6.4 km) SW of Stow-on-the-Wold. The village spans the River Eye, with a ford between the two sides. Upper Slaughter is one of the small number of Thankful Villages which lost no men in WWI. The village also lost no men in WWII, an achievement known as a Doubly Thankful Village. The church of St Peter lies on a high point above the village centre on the S bank of the river. It is noteworthy as the parish church of the Reverend F. E. Witts, whose diary was used as the basis of ‘The Diary of a Cotswold Parson’ by David Verey, recording the life of a well-off parson in the early 19thc. The Reverend Witts is buried in a splendid mortuary chapel added to the N side of the chancel in 1855. The nave has a N aisle and S porch. A tower was built inside the W bay of the nave in the 14thc. The church was sympathetically restored by J. E. K. Cutts in 1877 (Cutts 1877 and 1882).