We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Location
(51°10′6″N, 1°22′45″W)
Barton Stacey
SU 435 412
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Hampshire
now Hampshire
  • Kathryn Morrison
  • Ron Baxter
  • Kathryn Morrison
  • Ron Baxter
06 April 2006

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=8498.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Description

Barton Stacey is in rolling woodland and sheep pasture in central Hampshire, 7½ miles N of Winchester, and 5 miles E of Andover. It is one of the chain of villages than runs along the valley of the river Dever, many of which form the present benefice, and it occupies a network of roads on the S bank of the river, and the slopes of the valley of a stream running into it. The church stands at the crossroads in the village centre.

All Saints is largely of flint and consists of an aisled nave with a W tower partly inserted into it, and a chancel with transeptal N and S chapels. The nave has a S porch. The tower is early 16thc, of ashlar, with a polygonal SW turret, and a battlemented parapet with pinnacles. It was inserted into an aisled nave with 3-bay arcades, effectively cutting off rather less than half a bay of the N and S arcades. The arches of the 2 western bays of the arcades are early 13thc; pointed with a slight chamfer. The E bay on either side has a double-stepped arch with deep chamfers and pyramid stops, dating from the mid-13thc. The earliest of the arcade piers is the westernmost of the N arcade, with a multi-cusped capital. Its partner on the S has a moulded capital. Both are cylindrical. The other arcade piers are octagonal, and their capitals have more complex mouldings and dogtooth decoration. At the E end of the arcades are octagonal piers rather than responds, and they carry the chancel arch, transverse arches crossing the aisles and the longitudinal arches that frame the entries to the two chapels. The E responds of these chapel arches are similar in design, and the entire arrangement must therefore represent a major remodelling in the mid 13thc that also included the chancel. The transept façade windows are also 13thc in style, but replaced. There is also evidence of a 15thc remodelling, in the nave windows. By 1635 the church was ruinous. The manor was held at that time by Sir Robert Payne, who paid for the repair of the chancel. In 1848 the foundations were reseated and a W gallery removed. More repairs were carried out in 1877, including the replacement of the chancel roof and the porch, and much exterior remodelling. The chancel piers were reset in 1894-1901, and there was a restoration of the stonework in 1989-91.

Romanesque sculpture is found in pier 2 of the N arcade, and in a Purbeck marble font.

History

Barton Stacey was a large manor held by King Edward before the Conquest, and King William afterwards. It was never assessed in hides, except for six hides held by coliberts (freedmen), but there was land for 25 ploughs, 37 acres of meadow and woodland for 80 pigs as well as 3 mills.

In addition an estate of 1 hide was held in 1086 by the church of Saint-Victoire-en-Caux from Ralph de Mortimer, including 6 acres of meadow, and also in 1086 Hugh de Port held half a hide from Walter fitzRoger de Pitres. This last holding was in the hands of Eadsige the sheriff before the Conquest, and included a church. Details of later manors may be found in VCH (1911).

According to the Brief History and Guide, the church was dedicated to St Victor in the 10thc. The church of Barton in Hampshire was granted to the Priory of Augustinian Canons at Lanthony by Gloucester shortly after the priory’s dedication in 1137, the grant being made by the earl of Hereford

Features

Interior Features

Arcades

Nave

Furnishings

Fonts

Comments/Opinions

Little need be said about the font, which is a common late-12thc type in the county. A single multi-fluted capital, of a slightly later form but otherwise similar, is found in the N nave arcade of the nearby church of St Nicholas, Longparish. The 16thc W tower is of a local design, also seen at Micheldever and Longparish

Bibliography

Anon., Brief History and Guide to All Saints’ Church [Barton Stacey]. Und.

N. Pevsner and D. Lloyd, The Buildings of England. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Harmondsworth 1967, 87-88.

Victoria County History: Gloucestershire. II (1907), 87-91

Victoria County History: Hampshire. IV (1911), 417-22.