Rottingdean was held from William of Warenne in 1086. No church was mentioned.
In 1856 the S aisle was rebuilt on the site of a medieval aisle or chapel, which had been destroyed, probably by fire, at an unknown date (Hussey 1857). The S wall, which had incorporated a blocked arcade, was rebuilt.
In 1909 P. M. Johnson designed a new font 'as far as possible a reproduction of the original thirteenth century font belonging to the church, the bowl of which alone has survived, and will be carefully preserved, though no longer suitable for use . . .' (Brighton Gazette, 8 December 1909, 5). The font has a round bowl carried on a fat central shaft and a ring of six slender outer shafts.
The original font was not seen by CRSBI fieldworkers. In 1935 Drummond-Roberts published a photograph of it, displayed on a sill inside the church (Drummond-Roberts 1935, 72). She reported that it had been found 'some few years ago' in the Vicarage garden.
The VCH claimed that there were loose stones outside the W door of the church, and 12thc. stones reused in the N walling of the central tower. These were not noted.