We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Withington, Herefordshire

(52°5′17″N, 2°38′5″W)
SO 566 435
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
medieval St Peter
now St Peter
  • Ron Baxter
01 November 2017

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=8880.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Withington is a sizeable village 5 miles NE of Hereford, on the N side of the A4103 road to Ledbury. The Roman road linking the two Hereford and Ledbury runs a short distance to the S. The church is on the N edge of the village, and is dominated by a tall, slender 14thc spire recessed within the parapet of a late-13thc W tower. Nave and chancel are 12thc and undifferentiated, with no chancel arch but a 14thc timber screen. There is an organ room on the N side of the chancel, and a modern timber-framed S porch to the nave. Construction is of sandstone rubble, except for the ashlar W tower. Features described here are the S doorway and the blocked N doorway.


Withington was held by the canons of Hereford cathedral in 1086 and before the Conquest. The manor was assessed at 8 hides, of which 2 hides were in demesne along with 2 acres of meadow and a mill. Another 4 hides of the 8 were held by 3 clerks who also had 7 acres of meadow. The final 2 hides were held from the canons by the nuns of Hereford, and they also had 14 acres of meadow. The manor remained in the possession of the cathedral until the Reformation.


Exterior Features



Brooks (2012) describes the doorways as 'two simple, Late Norman nave doorways with continuous roll mouldings, the N blocked,' and there is little more to be said about them.


A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 680-81.

Historic England Listed Building, English Heritage Legacy ID 154170

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 323.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 216-19.