We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Winterbourne Stoke, Wiltshire

(51°9′52″N, 1°53′33″W)
Winterbourne Stoke
SU 076 406
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Wiltshire
now Wiltshire
medieval Old Sarum
now Salisbury
medieval St Peter
now St Peter
  • Allan Brodie
3 October 1992, 13 March 2004

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9023.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Winterbourne Stoke is a village on the River Till, about 5 miles W of Amesbury. The church of St Peter lies to the S of the village: it is built of flint rubble with ashlar dressings and consists of a chancel--rebuilt in the 19thc in yellow brick--a central tower, and a nave with N porch. The earliest parts of the church are the N and S doors of the nave which date from the 12thc, while the nave itself dates from c.1300. Parts of the lower portion of tower and crossing are early-13thc in date, although the crossing was remodelled c.1300. The top of the tower is Perpendicular in style. John Buckler illustrated a plain font which existed in the church in the early 19thc.


A church is recorded at Winterbourne Stoke before the Conquest ; it was granted to the Abbey of St Peter at Jumièges (Seine-Maritime, Normandy) between 1078-83, and took its dedication from the abbey around 1163. Domesday Book records that in 1066 the manor was held by Alwy and partly by his wife. In 1086, Walter had the lordship of the manor on behalf of Edward of Salisbury, High Sheriff of Wiltshire; it was worth £1. In 1170 it was held by Robert, Earl of Leicester, who donated it to Simon de Montfort in 1185 on his marriage to Robert's daughter, Amice. After Simon's death, the manor was returned to the Earls of Leicester.

Jumièges Abbey appropriated the church between 1227 and 1241 after a dispute with Hayling Priory (Hampshire), one of its dependences. However, the church later became one of the priory's possessions until its dissolution in 1413.


Exterior Features





Extensive restorations were carried out in 1838–40. In 1880 the N transept was rebuilt, and the organ chamber was added in 1881.


DCMS Listing Description.

J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, vol. VIII, pl. 1.

Victoria County History: Wiltshire, vol. XV, 275-84, especially 282-4.

NMR Report 54517.

N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition.