We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Cound, Shropshire

(52°38′24″N, 2°39′16″W)
SJ 558 049
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Shropshire
now Shropshire
medieval St Peter
now St Peter
  • Barbara Zeitler
  • Ron Baxter
25 June 1999 (BZ), 14 May 2019 (RB)

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9300.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Cound is a village on the Severn, some 7 miles SE of Shrewsbury. It was formerly part of the royal forest and later a river port, but now is a dormitory village for commuters to Shrewsbury and Telford. The church, in the centre of the village, is of red and yellow sandstone and consists of a chancel, and aisled nave with a S porch and a W tower. Of this the nave and S aisle are 13thc and the W tower 15thc. The N aisle is of 1841-42 and the chancel was rebuilt in 1862, both by S. Pountney Smith. The only Romanesque feature is the font.


Cound was held by Earl Morcar before the Conquest, and by Reginald the Sheriff from Roger, Earl of Shrewsbury in 1086. It was assessed at 4½ hides and there were 2 mills and woodland sufficient for 50 pigs. Reginald's successors were the FitzAlans. In 1240 Cound was one of the manors specified in the dowry of Hawise de Blaneminster, widow of John FitzAlan, and another of the same name held the manor in 1255. It passed by marriage to Philip Burnel, who died in 1294, and by the early 14thc it was again in the halnds of the Fitzalans, Earls of Arundel.





The workshop responsible for the font also worked at Morville and Linley.


R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, 12 vols, London 1854-60, vol. 6 (1858), 69-80.

Historic England Listed building, English Heritage Legacy ID: 259737

J, Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, New Haven and London 2006, 234-35.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 114-15.