We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Gregory, Morville, Shropshire

(52°32′31″N, 2°29′16″W)
SO 670 939
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Shropshire
now Shropshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
  • Barbara Zeitler
  • Barbara Zeitler
  • Ron Baxter
26 Sept 1998, 19 October 2023 (RB)

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9471.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


The village of Morville is three miles west of Bridgnorth. The building dates essentially from the 12thc, but there are two separate building phases. The nave dates from the early part of the 12thc and the aisle from the end of the century. Round-headed windows are in the S aisle wall and at the W end of the S aisle. A round-headed window on the upper storey of the W wall of the nave indicates that the tower was added later, but probably not much later as the tower is of a 12thc date as well. The top storey of the tower is later, probably late medieval.

The S doorway, which is decorated with some sculpture, is of a 12thc date; the porch is later. The doorway has been subject to extensive restoration. This is true especially of the capitals. There is a blocked-up doorway with a pointed arch on the outside of the N aisle. A Gothic window, probably from the 14thc, is to the L of this doorway. The chancel is 12thc, but with later medieval and 19thc additions. There is a round-headed priest's doorway on the S side of chancel. The priest's doorway was remodeled in the 17thc, but retains some 12thc sculpture.

The rounded-headed chancel arch from the first half of the 12thc is decorated with sculpture. The nave arcades of three bays are round-headed. Sculptural decoration occurs on the capitals of the nave arcades and at the meeting points of the arch labels. The clerestory is 19thc.

A richly carved 12thc font is situated at the W end of the nave.


The church was consecrated in 1118. In 1136 it became a dependency of the abbey at Shrewsbury and became known as Morville Priory. The priory buildings were demolished in 1545.


Exterior Features


Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches






The carving on the tympanum above the priest's door resembles the carving above the priest's door at Tugford.

The decoration of the capital on the E impost pier of the N arcade in the nave is reminiscent of the capitals surviving at Burwarton. The capital of the W impost pier of the N arcade is probably unfinished. Ornament similar to the capital of the E impost pier may originally have been intended for this capital. The decoration of the capital on the E impost pier of the S arcade resembles that found on the capital of the E impost pier on the N arcade at Alveley, even though the carving of the latter is less accomplished than the example at Morville. Pevsner considers the multiple scallop capitals on the second pier from the E of the S arcade to be later.

The label stops on the N and S arcade may be reset fragments.

The font is by the same workshop responsible for the fonts at Cound and Linley. (Fieldworker)


Anon, Morville Priory, leaflet, n. d.

Anon, The History of Morville, leaflet, n. d.

D. H. S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of Shropshire, Vol.1, part 4, Wellington, 1894, 331-39.

R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, vol. 1, London, 1854, 25-43.

L. Garner, Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury, 1994, 101-102.

J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 415-16.