We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, Parwich, Derbyshire

(53°5′8″N, 1°43′14″W)
SK 188 543
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Derbyshire
now Derbyshire
  • Celia Holden
  • Jennifer Alexander
  • Louisa Catt
  • Olivia Threlkeld
02 September 2014

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9546.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Parwich is a small village about seven miles N of Ashbourne. The church lies to the S of the village and dates back to the 12thc when it was a chapelry of St Oswald’s Ashbourne: it only became a parish in 1650. The church was demolished and reconstructed on the same site in Coxbench stone between 1872-4 by Henry Isaac Stevens and Frederick Josias Robinson, thanks to the generosity of Sir Thomas William Evans. The structure consists of a chancel with a S aisle and a N vestry, a nave with aisles, a N porch and a W tower. The church incorporates some of the original elements of the Romanesque period, such as the W doorway, the chancel arch, a respond capital and two fragments of a capital.


The Domesday Survey records that in 1066 'Pevrewic' was under the lordship of King Edward; in 1086 Colne of Parwich held it, being King William its tenant-in-chief. The manor valued £40. From the last decades of the 11thc Parwich was under the lordship of Henry de Ferrers and his descendants; from the second half of the 13thc it was held by Edmund Crouchback, Earl of Leicester and Lancaster.


Exterior Features


Interior Features


Tower/Transept arches



Loose Sculpture


John Charles Cox says that the 'rudely incised grotesque figures' of the tympanum resemble other 'stones in a similar position at Hault-Hucknall, Hognaston, and other churches of the country, or like those on the font at the adjacent church of Tissington' (Cox (1877), 410).


J. C. Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, vol. 2, London 1877, 406-410.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, Harmondsworth 1986, 296-7.