We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Mary, Weedon Lois, Northamptonshire

(52°7′1″N, 1°7′20″W)
Weedon Lois
SP 602 469
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Northamptonshire
now Northamptonshire
medieval St Mary
now St Mary and St Peter
  • Ron Baxter
14 June 2004

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9552.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Originally a cruciform church, which still has its central tower and transepts. Herringbone masonry is visible on the lower part of the tower (the upper storey is early 14thc.) and the W wall of the nave. Three-bay aisles have been added to the nave, the S arcade of c.1300, the N a copy of 1849. The crossing has been remodelled, perhaps in the 14thc., and both transepts extended eastwards to form chancel chapels. On the N side the transept now houses the organ and the chapel is now a vestry. The only 12thc. sculpture to survive is the font.


The manor was held by Giles, the brother of Ansculf in 1086. This was the Giles de Pinkney, whose son Ralph is traditionally supposed to have founded the Priory of St Mary of which this was the church. It was founded as a cell of the Benedictine Abbey of St Lucien de Beauvais. In the early 14thc. the income of the priory was seized by the crown, and in 1392-93 Beauvais sold its rights in the priory to the Cistercians of Biddlesden, Bucks. In 1437 it was transferred again and became part of the endowment of All Souls College, Oxford.

Benefice of Helmdon with Stuchbury and Radstone, and Syresham with Whitfield, Lois Weedon with Weston and Plumpton and Wappenham.





The font is by the workshop responsible for the font at nearby Tiffield, and similar work is found on the font at Dodford.


K. Lewis, Weedon St Loys: Priory and Parish. Undated (ed. S. Edwards 1999).

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire. Harmondsworth 1961, rev. B. Cherry 1973, 448-49.

Victoria County History: Northamptonshire. II (1906)