We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter, West Tytherley, Hampshire

(51°4′0″N, 1°36′37″W)
West Tytherley
SU 274 298
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Hampshire
now Hampshire
  • Ron Baxter
04 April 2006

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9783.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

West Tytherley is in central W Hampshire, seven miles NW of Romsey and less than a mile from the Wiltshire border. The country here is rolling and wooded with mixed pasture and arable cultivation. The village is just over a mile S of the Roman road from Old Sarum to Winchester, and the church stand at the S end of the village centre.

St Peter’s consists of a nave with a south porch, chancel and W tower. The nave, porch and tower are of 1833 by G. R. Guthrie; the nave entirely of brick and the porch and tower of brick and knapped flint. All of this is in a Georgian style; the nave broad with a W gallery carried on slim shafts. In 1877 a grey ashlar chancel was added by J. Colson, and the square-headed Perpendicular style windows in the nave and tower must be of that date.

This church replaced a medieval one that stood in the churchyard across the road to the E. It was described as ruinous in a meeting held on 26th December 1831, and its demolition began on the same day. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 14th March 1832, and it was consecrated on 19th April 1833. The site and £500 towards the cost of the new church were provided by the Lord of the Manor, Charles Baring Wall. A drawing of the old church, now in the vestry, shows it to have been a two-cell building with a W bell turret, apparently 13thc in style. The only Romanesque sculpture is the Purbeck marble font.


West Tytherley was held by Thegn Alwig son of Thurbert in 1086, paying geld for 3 hides and 1 virgate. Before the Conquest it was held by three free men as three manors of King Edward and paid geld for 4 hides and 1 virgate. There were 7½ acres of meadow and woodland for fencing. According to the testimony of men of the hundred, two of the men who held it before the Conquest were killed in the battle of Hastings, and the hundred affirmed that they had never seen the king’s seal or that of his officer, by right of which Alwine Ret, the predecessor of Alwig, held the manor. They thus claimed that unless the king gave testimony Alwig had no possessions there. A chapel at West Tytherley was one of six in the manor of Mottisfont held by the Archbishop of York in 1086. In the 13thc the manor was held by the king in serjeantry, and in 1334 it was bought by Roger Norman. His family were succeeded by the Whitheds by 1433.





Similar acanthus quatrefoils are among the decorations on the font at Brockenhurst.


Anon., St Peter’s Church, West Tytherley. Undated church guide.

N. Pevsner and D. Lloyd, The Buildings of England. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Harmondsworth 1967, 648.

Victoria County History: Hampshire. IV (1911), 519-24.