We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Hallows, Lamport, Northamptonshire

(52°21′51″N, 0°53′17″W)
SP 758 746
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Northamptonshire
now Northamptonshire
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9792.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

From the outside, All Hallows appears entirely 18thc. but for the W tower, the lower parts of which are 12thc.; the upper 13thc. with a battlement and a pyramid roof with a spike added on top. Inside, the nave arcade, of three bays, and the tower arch are 13thc. The first addition to the 13thc. church was the Isham chapel, on the N side of the chancel, added by Sir Justinian Isham in 1672 and built by Henry Jones of Walgrave. The rest was rebuilt following a bequest of Sir Justinian (d.1737) by the architect William Smith of Warwick. The work was completed by 1744. Since then a vestry has been added to the S of the chancel to the design of G. G. Bodley (1879). The only 12thc. work is the plain W doorway, a window above it, and a plain window in the second storey of the S tower wall. Only the W window is described; the other work being completely plain.


The main tenant in 1086 was Fulcher, who held 4 hides and 1 virgate from Walter the Fleming. Smaller holdings were in the hands of St Edmundsbury Abbey (1 virgate and 1 bovate) and Countess Judith (1 bovate). Lamport's status as the mother church of Faxton was confirmed by an act of Archbishop Richard Dover in 1174-81, which upheld the rector of Lamport's claim that the right of sepulture in Faxton pertained to Lamport, as mother church from ancient times. The monks of Faxton, however, were to receive a perpetual pension to compensate them. Later rectors of Lamport sought t escape paying it. The advowson of Lamport was in the hands of the lords of the manor of Wahull. Fulcher's descendant, Sir Peter Malsover, presented William de Wanda to the rectory in 1217.

Benefice of Maidwell with Draughton and Lamport with Faxton.


Exterior Features



RCHME Report, uncatalogued.
Victoria County History: Northamptonshire, IV (1937), 199f.
J. Bridges, The History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire, Compiled from the manuscript collections of the late learned antiquary J.Bridges, Esq., by the Rev. Peter Whalley, Oxford, 1791, II, 112-16.
G. Isham, All Saints' (All Hallow's) Lamport, 1950 (abbrev. edition 1998).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, Harmondsworth, 1961, rev. by B. Cherry, 1973, 284-86.