We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Michael and All Angels, Kniveton, Derbyshire

(53°3′1″N, 1°41′17″W)
SK 210 504
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Derbyshire
now Derbyshire
  • Ron Baxter
  • Louisa Catt
  • Ron Baxter
02 Sep 2014 (LC), 21 June 2022 (RB)

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=9913.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Kniveton is a village in the Derbyshire Dales district of the county, 3 miles NE of Ashbourne. The church is in the village centre and has an aisleless nave with a W gallery and a S porch, a W tower with a spire and a chancel with a N vestry. The nave and S doorway are 12thc work. The W tower is late 13thc with battlements and tower added in the 15th-16thc. Both nave and chancel were rebuilt with new windows in 1663. Construction is of coursed gritstone rubble with ashlar dressings.


Kniveton was a berewick of Markeaton held by Earl Siward in 1066 and by Earl Hugh of Chester in 1086, when it was waste. A second holding, partly in the same vill and held by Henry de Ferrers was rated at a quarter of a carucate. The church was a chapelry of Ashbourne and was included in the gift of Ashbourne to Lincoln by William Rufus. It was still a dependent chapelry in 1240.


Exterior Features



Curiously the description of the label stops, one described in Pevsner (1953) as a beakhead, is omitted in the 2016 edition. Both include the apex head, Pevsner himself calling it a bear while Hartwell does not commit herself as to its species. Neither notes the chamfer on the doorway, which suggests a date after the middle of the century.


J. C. Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Chesterfield and London 4 vols, 1875-79, vol. 2, 505-08.

  1. C. Hartwell, N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, New Haven and London 2016,482-83.

Historic England Listed Building: English Heritage Legacy ID: 80128

  1. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Derbyshire, Melbourne, London and Baltimore 1953, 171.