We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St Peter and St Paul, Abington, Northamptonshire

Description

The church has a 13thc. chancel as shown by a small lancet in the N wall, now opening into the N chapel. There is a S chapel too, and both now give onto a wide, approximately square nave. This had aisles originally but after a storm in 1821 they were removed and the present nave created. The windows in the side walls are large and pointed with gothick Y-tracery. The wooden gallery at the west end dates from 1924. The nave has N and S doorways; the S of c.1200 under a porch, the N slightly later, single-order, continuous, pointed and chamfered and completely plain. This now gives access to an L-shaped suite of modern vestries and offices that surrounds the NW angle of the nave, abutting the N wall of the west tower. The tower arch from the nave is of c.1200, and the tower itself is very tall and of four slightly stepped storeys with a blocked c.1200 window in the S wall of the third storey. The fourth storey is Perpendicular with transomed bell-openings and battlements. The Romanesque features described here are the S doorway and the tower arch.

History

Abington was held by Richard in 1086. Neither church nor priest was recorded at that time.

The dedication is recorded as being SS Peter and Paul in 1433.

Benefice of SS Peter and Paul, Abington. The church is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.

Features

Exterior Features

Doorways

Interior Features

Arches

Tower/Transept arches
Comments/Opinions

Plain arches with an extra order in the arch are also found in the three doorways at Upton.

Bibliography

J. H. Parker, Architectural Notices of the Churches of the Archdeaconry of Northampton, London and Oxford, 1849, 257.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, Harmondsworth, 1961, rev. by B. Cherry, 1973, 343f.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northampton. V: Archaeological sites and churches in Northampton, London, 1985.

Victoria County History: Northamptonshire, IV (1937).

Location
(52°14′46″N, 0°51′58″W)

World map

Abington
SP 775 615
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Northamptonshire
now Northamptonshire
  • Ron Baxter
11 August 2004, 01 January 2004