We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Nether Silton, North Yorkshire

Location
(54°19′27″N, 1°18′1″W)
Nether Silton
SE 456 923
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) North Yorkshire
now North Yorkshire
medieval York
now York
  • Jeffrey Craine
30 September 2003

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=2819.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets
Description

The church was constructed in 1812 and subsequently altered in 1873. It consists of a nave, a chancel and a porch. There is a chamfered bellcote. A Romanesque font has been preserved at the church.

History

The earliest reference to the church occurs in the 18thc, when it is referred to as a chapel. Other evidence establishes that the chapel belonged to the parish church of Leake. An inscription in the present church of Nether Silton records that it was rebuilt in 1812.

Features

Furnishings

Comments/Opinions

Although no documentary evidence survives for this building before the earliest reference in 1786, it would appear that some older building materials have clearly been used in the construction of this church. Whether such material came from a church on the same site must remain, however, a matter of speculation. The inscription of 1812 makes no reference to the origins of the font. The nearby church at Over Silton is locally referred to as the 'summer church', as it currently sits in the middle of a field, has no electricity, and is rather difficult to access. However, along with notable Romanesque remains, the church of Over Silton does possess its own 12thc font, so the font from Nether Silton must have come from elsewhere. A more likely candidate is the parish church of Leake. By the 1780s the patronage of the chapel belonged to the presentation of Leake parish church. The parish church of Leake currently possesses a pewter font basin. It is therefore possible that the font of All Saints, Nether Silton, was the original font of the 12thc church of Leake and was transferred to the chapel at some subsequent point.

Bibliography

J. Bacon, Liber Regis: Vel Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum, London, 1786, 1125.

  1. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Yorkshire, The North Riding, Harmondsworth, 1966, 263.

Victoria County History: A History of the County of York North Riding, Volume 1, ed. William Page, London, 1923, 418.