We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Old Church, Edvin Loach, Herefordshire

Location
(52°13′21″N, 2°29′41″W)
Edvin Loach
SO 663 584
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Herefordshire
now Herefordshire
medieval Hereford
now Hereford
formerly St Mary
medieval St Giles
now Old Church
  • Ron Baxter
09 July 2012

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=2458.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets
Description

Edvin Ralph is in the NE of the county, 3 miles N of Bromyard. The landscape here is hilly and wooded; the topography governed by the valleys of the river Frome and its tributaries. The hamlet of Edvin Loach consists of a few houses and the church on a minor loop of road. The present church is of 1859-60 by G. G. Scott, but the ruin of the old church still stands, roofless, to the east, within the bailey of a castle enclosure. It consists of an unaisled nave and chancel with a west tower. The 11thc nave has herringbone masonry in the walls, which are of local sandstone rubble. Parts of the N and S walls and the entre E wall were rebuilt in the 12thc, and this work includes thesouth doorway of tufa, which is the only Romanesque feature described here. The tower, open to the nave, dates from the 16thc. The broken remains of a partly Romanesque font were described by RCHME (1932), but the font had been removed by 1986.

History

Edvin Loach was assessed with Worcestershire in the Domesday Survey, when it was held by Osbern FitzRichard, and by Herbert from him. Before the Conquest it was held by Wulfheah. In 1086 it was assessed at 1 hide. No church or priest was mentioned at that time. The parish was originally a detached enclave of Herefordshire surrounded by Worcestershire, to which it was transferred for civil purposes in 1844, then back again in 1893.

Features

Exterior Features

Doorways

Comments/Opinions

This type of doorway with a depressed tympanum is common in the county, at for example Castle Frome, Letton, Hampton Bishop and Much Dewchurch, although no other is this plain.

Bibliography

A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, New Haven and London 2012, 225-26.

EH, English Heritage Listed Building 151186.

Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 1154.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, Harmondsworth 1963, 126.

RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 75.