We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

All Saints, Chebsey, Staffordshire

(52°51′16″N, 2°12′33″W)
SJ 860 286
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Staffordshire
now Staffordshire
  • G. L. Pearson
  • Ron Baxter

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=3234.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.


Chebsey is a village on the river Sow, 5 miles upstream from the centre of Stafford. All Saints has a spacious nave with no clerestory and S aisle, a chancel and W tower with a modern vestry on the S side of it. Nave and chancel are 12thc.; visible in the two 12thc. N nave doorways (one now blocked and neither with a porch), the flat buttress on the N nave wall, and the tiny round-headed lancets on the N walls of the nave and chancel. The S aisle was added in the mid-13thc., and the chancel arch remodelled at the same time. Both this and the four-bay S arcade have pointed, double chamfered arches and moulded capitals. The S doorway, under a porch, is also 13thc. The W tower is 15thc. with diagonal buttresses, a SE stair turret and a battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Construction is of reddish sandstone, much renewed especially in the S aisle wall. The 12thc. doorways and windows are very plain, but the interior niche left by the blocking of the eastern doorway now contains loose 12thc. stones carved with foliage in relief. There are two 19thc. S views in the William Salt Library, Stafford, SV III 74 and 75a, but they add little to our knowledge of the building.


The manor of Chebsey was held by Humphrey from Henry de Ferrers in 1086; the holding consisting of five hides under plough, 20 acres of meadow and woodland pasture two furlongs by one. A priest was recorded at that time. Humphrey left his holdings here and elsewhere to his son Atropos Hastang, and it remained in the same family until the death of Sir John de Hastang, the last of the male line, before 1332. The manor then passed to his daughter, Katharine, and thence to her husband Sir Ralph de Stafford. It remained in the Stafford line until 1469 when Sir Humphrey Stafford, recently created Earl of Devon by Edward IV, was beheaded by the Earl of Warwick on behalf of Henry VI after the Battle of Edgecote, and the manor was forfeit to the crown. The church was acquired by the chapter of Lichfield Cathedral for its common fund in the 14thc. (before 1321), and as was usual in such cases the holding was farmed out to a vicar who was paid a salary in exchange for collecting the tithes and keeping the building in good repair.

Benefice of Chebsey, Ellenhall and Seighford-with-Cresswell.


Exterior Features


Loose Sculpture


The foliage imposts are similar to the worn examples on the W nave doorway of St Mary's, Swynnerton some four miles to the N, which also has bosses.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire. Harmondsworth 1974, 99.
S. Shaw, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire. 1798-1801. 2 vols. repr. 1976

Staffordshire County Council, Staffordshire Views Collection, SV III 74, 75a. Available online at http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=47,71124and_dad=portaland_schema=PORTAL

Victoria County History: Staffordshire. III (1970), 140-66.