We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Thrybergh Village Green Cross, Yorkshire, West Riding

(53°27′15″N, 1°17′42″W)
Thrybergh Village Green Cross
SK 469 955
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Yorkshire, West Riding
now South Yorkshire
medieval York
now Sheffield
  • Barbara English
  • Rita Wood
18 August 2011

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=15199.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Known as ‘Village Green Cross’ (Ryder 1982, 120) or 'Butter Cross', the cross now stands in paving on a corner between the drives which serve modern bungalows in a small estate called Three Hills Close, off School Lane, on the E side of the Doncaster Road (A630). When recorded by the National Monuments Record in 1965 it was on the village green, enclosed by railings. Since that time the green has been built upon; as far as we are aware the cross has not been relocated. The stone is kept clear of the nearby shrubs by the kindness of its nearest neighbour.


No recorded history, except for modern period, for which see Comments.


Exterior Features


Collingwood (1915, 250) reports that ‘in the field between the cemetery and the church stands a shaft, railed round. It has chamfered and bossed arrises like those of Rawmarsh and Barnbrough. On the east face is a sword in relief, as on a grave slab; on the west face is a conventional tree pattern; the edges are plain. This cross … may be late twelfth or thirteenth century.’ A similar description is provided by Morris (1919, 506).

The National Monuments Record (1967, 2005, no. 316511) describes the remains of a late 12thc or 13thc cross, which carving developed from a pre-conquest motif. The English Heritage listing of this scheduled monument (1995, no. 1012930) remarks that the cross is believed to be in its original location and refers its decoration to the Anglian period or, alternatively, it suggests an Anglian influence on post-Conquest art forms. A processional or liturgical use can be also deduced from its location on the former village green.

Regarding the original function of the cross, Ryder (1982, 120) suggests that it might have been part of a 12thc-13thc burial monument. The shaft has the basic four-sided, tapered form of other shafts in the area (e.g. the shafts at St Leonard in Thrybergh, at Barnburgh and at Rawmarsh), but is in a different stone and does not have the explicitly clerical imagery.


G.B. Brown, Anglo-Saxon Sculpture, The Arts in Early England VI, London, 1937, 145-56, pl. XXXVIII, 4.

E. Coatsworth, Western Yorkshire, CASSS 8, Oxford, 2008.

W. G. Collingwood, 'Anglian and Anglo-Danish Sculpture in the West Riding', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal , 23 (1915), 129-299.

J. E. Morris, The West Riding of Yorkshire, London, 2nd ed. (1911), 1923, 506.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire, The West Riding, Harmondsworth 1979, 192.

P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire County Council Archaeology Monograph, no.2, Sheffield, 1982, 120.