We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

St George, Hinton St George, Somerset

(50°54′38″N, 2°49′45″W)
Hinton St George
ST 418 127
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales) Somerset
now Somerset
medieval St George
now St George
  • Robin Downes
18 April 2005

Please use this link to cite this page - https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=11988.

Find out how to cite the CRSBI website here.

Feature Sets

Hinton St George is a village in the South Somerset district of the county, 2 miles NW of Crewkerne and little more than 3 miles from the Dorset border. The village is clustered around a junction of minor roads, S of the line of the Fosse Way, with the church near the centre. It is constructed of Hamstone ashlar and similar material, and consists of a 2-bay chancel with chapels, a 3½-bay nave with a N transept, a 4-bay S aisle, a S porch and a W tower. It is substantially of the later 15thc, and the rector, Thomas Marsh, left £4 in 1494 for completing the tower. The chancel was rebuilt in the 19thc, and in 1814 the N transept was converted to a Poulett family pew, and the adjoining chapel was remodelled by Jeffrey Wyatt. There is no 12thc fabric here, but the font is Romanesque in origin.


Hinton St George was held by William de Eu in 1086, and was assessed at 13 hides before the Conquest, when it was held by Aelfstan of Boscombe. William held 5 hides in demesne, and the remainder was worked by 16 villans and 24 bordars. There were two mills, 60 acres of meadow and substantial woodland. In the early 13thc the overlordship had passed to the Marshals, Earls of Pembroke. On the death of Anselm Marshal in 1245 it passed to his sister Maud, and hence to the Bigods, Earls of Norfolk. Meanwhile the tenancy is known to have been held by Robert de Barnevill in 1220. It subsequently passed to the family of Denebaud, and on the death of John Denebaud in 1429 it passed to his daughter Elizabeth, married to William Poulett. This family remained at Hinton until 1973, when the 8th and last Earl Poulett died childless and the line was extinguished.





The List Description calls this a 13thc font bowl, decorated in the 15thc, while for Orbach and Pevsner it is late-Norman.


Historic England Listed Building 262298

J. Orbach and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. New Haven and London 2014, 359-61.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Harmondsworth 1958, 196.

Victoria County History: Somerset, IV (1978), 38-52.